Not possibly me, the one writing the blog, I'm perfectly normal ;-)
So why are we both here? a valid question. This is where I hope to dump my thoughts on musical type stuff, bits I'm enjoying bashing out on the Piano, and stuff I'm enjoying listening to.
Who am I ?
- I'm a mostly self taught player of keyboardy type instruments.
- I enjoy bluesy piano noodles, and floyd/tron/sweeping synthesizer sounds, and soundtracker music, and 8bit sid-style, and pop, rock, and the odd bit of classical.
- I play mainly by ear, from memory (not sure if thats my finger's memory, or mine though)
- I've just started the journey to try to better understand how I connect listening to sound, to how I play the piano.
- Someone who likes bullet points.. yay.. go bullets, go bullets..
I guess technically this wasn't my 1st instrument, at least 5 years before this one, I attempted guitar, there's no picture of a guitar here, as like wookies and endor, they don't make sense. Guitars appear to be 6 monophonic pianos stacked ontop of each other (at random offsets), where you have to decide the notes with one hand, and create the sound with the other. My dreams of becoming an overnight Rock God were sadly crushed into oblivion when I realised just how much effort ever learning such a twisted instrument could be.
So in comparison, I got on really quite well with the keyboard ;-) Plus I'm more than a bit of geek (really, and you didnt get that from the whole blogging thing already), and I really kinda liked the entire MIDI idea, where you can hook the keyboard to the computer, and have it join in.. even more fun if you discover the details of the MIDI protocol & start writing your own little programs to play with it.
Gradually over time I picked up more little bits & pieces, before buying myself a Roland A33, yay for fullsize keys, with velocity sensitive response.. but I still really craved a nice piano sound or eight. Took me many years later before I bought the Clavinova, a CVP103, it's pretty much the main instrument I bash around on these days.
Finally after spending too long playing stuff that all 'felt the same' I figured it was time to go find someone to try give me some proper direction.. someone willing to cope with the fact I've never learnt to read Score, and don't really want to put the time in to do so.. It's been around 6 months or so since then, and I think I'm still being surprised by what I already know but dont understand, and do understand, but dont already know ;-)